29. November 2009

Design and Architecture

Well, I don't know why but somehow I suddenly found myself thinking about definitions of Art, Design, Architecture and Information.

So far, I came up with the following:

Design is the planned creation of an object.
Architecture is the planned creation of a sytem.

Both can be a process and a result.

Hm, what about Art? Art to me is everything with an aesthetic value. This can be a result of a design "process", but this is not mandatory.

What about Information? Well, this to me seems obvious - but I don't expect anybody to agree:

Information is a quality of a message. It's an attribute of the Message object, so to say. It is tightly bound to communication and can't exist without it.

So what does this say about Information Architecture if one would take it literally?